German Language Course Visa Support
If you wish to come to Germany to learn German in Berlin, you will need to obtain a German language course visa. Before applying for this visa, you will need a written confirmation for a pre-booked and prepaid language course in Germany. DAS Akademie will happily provide you with this document upon registration. Please note that there is a difference between the visa for attending a language course and a study preparation visa. Both of these, however, require a registration for an official language course.
German Language Visa Courses
In order to qualify for a German language course visa, you would need to sign up for an Intensive German Course. The intensive German course at DAS Akademie consists of 20 lessons per week (10:00 – 13:15 each day), lasts 4 weeks in total, and is internationally recognized by German embassies across the world. The main reason you are coming to Germany with a German language course visa is to learn the local language. Therefore, an intensive programme would be the perfect choice for you. You will learn about the German language and culture in a small class and at a quick pace, but still slow enough for you to take everything in and make the most of it.
Therefore, DAS Akademie can provide you with visa support so that you can make it to Germany and embark on your language-learning journey. After you have registered for an Intensive German Course in Berlin at DAS Akademie and have paid the course fee in full, we will send you an official confirmation of this. You will then need to forward the confirmation in its original form to the country’s responsible authority.
Below is a brief summary of all the things you need in preparation for the the German language course visa application process. This is part of our visa support service – a system in which our staff are able to provide you with the most up-to-date details and the best advice according to your circumstances.
Application for a visa for learning the German language
Please visit the Federal Foreign Office website for more information about visa support and the entry into the Federal Republic of Germany. You can also contact the German Embassy in your region to explain your individual situation and maybe receive an insight into the process based on this.
If you wish to come to Germany to learn German in Berlin, you will need to obtain a German language course visa. Before applying for this visa, you will need a written confirmation for a pre-booked and prepaid language course in Germany. DAS Akademie will happily provide you with this document upon registration.
Please note that there is a difference between the visa for attending a German language course and a study preparation visa. Both of these, however, require a registration for an official language course.
Here is an overview of requirements for both:
1. Visa for attending a language course
- Intensive language course* lasting more than 3 months (§ 16 f Sect. 1 Residence Act)
- A change of the purpose of stay is generally not possible
- The visa holder must leave the Federal Republic of Germany after completion of the course (maximum duration: 12 months)
- Proof of willingness to return to the home country
- Previous knowledge of the German language is required in some countries in advance, and German courses that were already completed show a long-term interest in the language
2. Visa to prepare for studies
- Language course in preparation for a course of study (§ 16 b Sect.1 Residence Act)
- The holder of the student visa can take up studies in Germany directly after the intensive language course* is complete
- In order to apply, one requires a conditional acceptance letter from a university or to book an exam to enter a Studienkolleg
- Both visa types require a proof of blocked bank account, booked residence in Germany and health insurance among other documents – the requirements change from country to country but the information can be found on the embassy website.
* An intensive language course must generally include daily lessons with at least 18 hours per week. Evening and weekend courses are not sufficient.
The following basic requirements are needed in preparation for the issuing of German language course visas:
- Proof of financial security during your stay in the Federal Republic of Germany
- No public funds may be used during the visit
- A valid passport with at least 2 empty visa pages and which is no more than 10 years old
- Confirmed registration or certificate of enrollment in the language course
- Health insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- 2 recently taken portrait photographs (see guidelines below)
- 3 photocopies of the passport ID pages
- A motivational letter about why you are attending a language course
- An official letter of leave from the employer (signed and stamped), for employees
- Proof of a paid visa fee (60€)
- Any previous Schengen visas (if applicable)
If you cannot finance your journey and stay alone, it is possible for a host, who must officially be a registered resident in the Federal Republic of Germany, to take on responsibility for all costs during your trip. The Department of Immigration is responsible for this procedure.
Always check with the German Embassy
If you wish to apply for a German Language Course visa, remember to always double check with the German Embassy in your country that you have the right documents and that you qualify for the visa.
If you have further questions about applying for a German language visa, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.